Monday, February 12, 2007

Lure of the track part 2

Running on the track is bad for a couple of reasons. The first reason being is that a lot of track workouts typically will lead to injury. The biggest reason though is that it typically makes people live by thier watch. They know exactly was distance they are running everytime. They also know what time. So distance over time becomes all they are concerned about. They start running by their watch and not how they feel. It is very possible, more times than not, to get a better workout by going slower. Problem is people don't like to know they are running slow. If you stay away from the track and run on trails, a 30 minute run is a 30 minute run. You are more likely to run how you feel rather than by running according to your watch when away from the track and not knowing the distances.

Be Active Be Happy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the track and all of the benefits my athletes gain from their sessions on the oval. When conducted in the correct way an interval session on the track can go a long way to develop speed in an athlete. Those people who like to do their distance runs around the track are just asking for injury. The track, my like my TT bike, was made to go fast on.

1:03 AM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

Given the words "my athletes", clearly you are some sort of coach or trainer and more than likely know what you are doing.

I too like the track. I have done and will continue to do certain track workouts as they have, like you said, helped me develop speed.

However, these last two post are talking about those who have just started to run and think they must run on the track to get "fast." I can assume that if you just started to train someone who has only been running for a short while and only runs a 25:00 5K, you would not take them to the track to work on their speed. I could understand if you take them to the track because you feel they have no sense of distance or pacing and feel they need controlled distance to help them develop that.

Beginning runners are more likely to get injured when on the track, and will likely become a slave to their watch. Also, most beginners do not have a coach to guide them, so taking to the track can be a dangerous proposition for them.

11:53 AM  
Blogger B I D W E L L said...

I do miss the track sometimes- probably more for the nostalgia, smells, and memories. Nothing cooler than kicking some laps at CF. Only downfall is realizing I am slower now than then. But you are absolutely right. I gauge everything on splits and yards when it comes to the oval.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home