Monday, February 26, 2007

Why and When

Most people train way too much. They have lots of workouts logged that really do nothing for fitness/race improvement. After a couple of seasons doing this, they plateau and then realize they are training incorrectly. I am not sure why, but recently I have had numerous conversations with athletes about this very topic. Season after season they have always been fighting injuries, experience a "sluggish" feeling during races and training, and suffering from late season burnout. Because of this, as many athletes do, they are starting to cut out the garbage. They take on the theory of "purpose". I have preached "purpose" for years, but realized as I was discussing this earlier today, that I failed in mentioning the other part of purpose and that is "when".

Identifying your weaknesses are important when defining a purpose of a workout. However, there are certain times during your training cycle when you should be working on certain weaknesses. If you lacked speed/power or the ability to handle lactic acid last year, you don't work on these during your base phase this year. If you struggled with your aerobic capacity and efficiency last year, you don't work on this during your speed/strength phases this year. People also need to realize that by cutting out the miles/hours doesn't mean you always train hard to work on your weaknesses. You still need to have your days off and your active recovery days to work on your form.

Yes, cut out the junk, but doing the right workout will only yield the best results if you are doing them at the right time.

Be Active Be Happy

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a crazy idea for you. Maybe some people just like the exercise and getting outdoors. For someone who claims to be an expert in the industry you sure don’t appear to know much about it.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What industry is expertise being claimed in? Maybe I misssed the declaration somewhere in another post, but I read the OP again and at no time does the author state that he is an expert. Just curious as to where you gleaned this information. But then again, it's easy to take shots at someone's opinions from behind the anonymous curtin...I just did the same thing.

10:15 AM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

Clearly you don’t know who I am or you have been misinformed about me. At the risk of making yourself look even more ignorant than you are, I would suggest you either comment on the content of the post, or you could simply STFU.

I would not disagree that some people just like to exercise and get outdoors. I am not sure where you have gotten the idea that I discourage general exercise or that I am not familiar with it. Again, you are misrepresenting and misconstruing my words as I have never claimed to be an “expert.” What I have said is that I have been “with the times” and would welcome any discussion in regards to the current state of triathlon, equipment, training philosophies, or races.

Getting back to this specific post, I was just wondering if you feel the nature of it is incorrect. Since you are establishing your reputation as one who has a hard time reading and interpreting information, I will remind you that this post was about. This post was stating that doing the right workout will only yield the best results if you are doing them at the right time. What say you?

11:55 AM  
Blogger All3Sports said...

Another great way to cut the junk and maximize your training time is to have a metabolic test done. It really nails your personal HR zones and allows you to train more specifically.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home