Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Love of the sport

It was implied that I don't know about how some people just "like the exercise and getting outdoors." Thinking about this more in depth, I started to try and qualify what a person like this might be.

Here is a list of potential characteristics:
1. No cycling computer. If they just like to ride, certainly they don't care about how far or fast. They just enjoy the ride and exercise.

2. No power meter. If no computer, certainly no power meter; see above.

3. No HRM. They are just out to exercise, it is not about spending the appropriate times in zones 1-5, its about just getting out there.

4. No chrono. Again, just out to enjoy the sights and get some exercise. Not going to run or bike for "X" amount of time. They are just out to enjoy the times. They know the loop around the lake takes roughly 30 minutes. The lower trail around the nature center takes closer to 45 minutes.

5. This person does not fascinate over the lightest and fastest bikes. This person most likely is still riding their first real road bike a majority of the time. It for sure is not carbon, more times than not is is aluminum, but could very well be a steel frame. Shifting could vary, most likely some STI levers, but down tube shifting would not be a surprise.

6. Runs in woods/on trails. This person would not spend most their time in the concrete jungle, rather they are out chasing squirrels.

7. Training partners. This person love to run by themselves, but at the same time enjoys company from time to time.

That's all I came up with this morning while I was running. Then I realized I just described myself. None of my bikes have a computer. The bike I ride the most is my '92 Specialized Allez. Steel frame with one STI lever and one down tube shifter. I spend most of my time in Hixon forest and on crushed limestone bike trails. I train about 50/50 with people and without. Only 2 times a month do I wear a HRM. I do time my runs, but I never look at my watch while I am running.

I began my multisport way of life in 1992. I have gone through many phases during this time. Train to train, train to race, race to train, train to stay out of trouble, race to travel, and by default train to race to travel. I have trained by myself, with large groups, with a training partner, with first time runners/cyclists, and with seasoned pro's. Through all of this, I do this because I love to workout and enjoy the outdoors.

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve! said...

OHHHH SNAP!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I feel so sorry for you. Your youth really shows on a post like this. You missed it buddy.LOL

4:22 PM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

Yet you keep coming back. Your lack of intelligence shows in all of your comments.

7:33 PM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

It would seem that 3/4 of us are

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Ano#1. Your post is kinda stupid. You described an amish person who rides a bike and runs. I also think your missing their point. I guess now its 3/5.

9:06 AM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

This post originated from the “Why and When” post a while back. The content of the post was about training specificity and periodization. Anonymous had made the comment “Here is a crazy idea for you. Maybe some people just like the exercise and getting outdoors.” This comment would imply that I don’t know what that type of person is like. This post attempts to qualify that type of person. I listed several qualifying characteristics, and then applied them to myself. I concluded, that based on the criteria I listed, I would fall under the “just like to exercise and getting out doors” group.

In typical fashion, the comment left by Anonymous does not comment on or offer a counterpoint as to his/her own perspective on the topic, rather a stab at me was taken.

Anon#2. I thank you for your comments. While you may not like the post, you did comment on the content and I thank you for that. Granted, an Amish person would fit the criteria I listed, it was not my intent to describe an Amish person, nor would I personally qualify as such. However, just because you and I may disagree on this topic, this does not mean we can not be friends. As the author of this blog, I unilaterally made the decision to change the friend ratio to 4/5

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frm Anon #3,
Besides the special shoes, shouldn't you also be wearing only natural fibers while riding your downtube, friction shifting 1990's Spec. Allez? After all isn't cotton king? It just dawned on me during my fifth run of my short come back that you have been involved with multisports for more years of your life than you haven't been. Scary, eh?
And Anon 2 and you have combined efforts to actually describe Floyd Landis...the Amish cyclist who right now can only participate in his sport for the love of the game.
I would throw my hat into the ring as someone who fits your description, save for the Amish aspect, almost to a tee. Yet I also consider myself 2 of the 5 most competitive people I know. The situation illustrated in your original, orginal post that caught the attention of Anon 1 has been, in my opinion, refuted by your current efforts.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirtram-
I agree!
-Trista

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home